Saturday, December 31, 2011

Simple Cure for Protein Overload


I recently was a victim of having too much protein in my hair. How did I know? The most visible symptom of protein overload is dry brittle hair, hair that will not hold moisture including water and needless to say breakage (I hate relating that word to my hair!). I did not think it would have been from protein until I realized everything I use regularly had some form of protein in it. Whether it is light or medium, over time it will build up with frequent use. I now pay extremly close attention to the ingredients in my hair products. I found online an easy cure for protein overloaded hair. Here are the steps:

  1. Wash hair and scalp with a protein-free clarifying shampoo.
  2. Following up with a protein-free moisturizing shampoo after clarifying.
  3. Apply a protein-free deep conditioner to towel dried (I t-shirt dry. Love it!) hair then cover with plastic cap for 1+ hour without heat or 30 minutes with heat. (I personally added honey and 3 pure oils to my dc)
  4. Rinse deep conditioner thoroughly. You may do an apple cider vinegar rinse to help draw in moisture. After rinsing deep conditioner pour the acv rinse onto hair and leave in for 2-3 minutes then rinse with cool water.
  5. Towel dry hair then apply protein-free leave-in conditioner.
I followed these steps and it truly turned my protein overloaded hair around. I will have to keep products with protein out my hair for while until I get my moisture balance back. I have had to change my daily moisturizer since it does have protein in it. I have found a really good protein free moisturizer by Moitions that I love! If you or you know anyone that has protein overload hair definitely try these 5 steps and make sure to moisturize and seal regularly. You may have to do these steps for awhile until your hair gets back into balance and it will get back in balance too. Be blessed! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in. Feel free to leave a comment.