Friday, October 25, 2013

Update: Natural Journey


Hello there Saints! So sorry for being MIA. Tis' the season for preparation of the upcoming holidays. Well, here I am 2 months later fully natural and LOVING IT!!! I could not have imagine that I could see myself wear my homegrown natural hair. It is such an amazing accomplishment for me! I feel so free and uninhibited being a naturalista. :o)

Now, let me get to the nitty gritty of my natural journey 2 months in. First off, all is well. I'm retaining length still and my hair is growing quite well. I did have a problem area that I really was not aware of until I cut the remaining relaxed ends off. It's an area in my crow that the hair broke off and the texture is on the course side as if it was not getting enough TLC. Given that I have been giving that specific area the TLC it needs to get it going again. It is beginning to soften up and the texture is starting to feel more like the rest of my hair which is good thing. I make sure, when I moisturize, I pay additional attention to that area as well as when I cleanse and oil my scalp.

Routine
I cowash with a cowash cleanser 1x weekly, cowash with a regular rinse conditioner 1-2x weekly and deep condition 1x weekly with heat for 20-25 minutes. I shampoo 1x monthly (or if I have build up) alternating each month with sulfate (watered down) or sulfate free shampoos. I always divide my hair and cleanse in 2 sections and finger detangle only during my wash. In mid wash before conditioning, I will do an oil rinse with extra virgin olive oil. After my wash I lightly t-shirt dry and then finish detangling with my awesome wide tooth comb. I detangle/comb my hair on my wash days only but I make sure to detangle with my fingers thorough FIRST.

I moisturize daily using water, Cantu Shea Butter leave-in and seal with evoo or my homemade whipped shea butter. I moisture and seal in 4 sections and 2 strand twist each section, cover with my satin cap and call it a night. 

Hair Manipulation
Again, I only comb/detangle my hair on my wash days. Through out the week I wear a 2 strand halo/crown with a bun, wig or half wig. It all depends on my mood. I have began to experiment with flexi rod sets which is a serious work in progress. I'm loading myself up with education on how to do these sets by watching YouTube and reading other bloggers instructions. Practice makes perfect, right? If I can learn how to flat 2-strand twist I can learn how to roller set. :o)

There you have it Saints! My natural hair care journey is getting more simplified each day I'm on it. I am still eliminating products that I no longer care to use and as well as tools. I have not flat ironed my hair in about 3 months and I really do not have a desire to. I want to continue to learn about caring for my natural hair in all its natural glory. If I want straight hair, I'll put my wig on (LOL). I'm due for a trim but I plan on having that done professionally in the beginning of next year. So to be continued.....

I pray all is well with everyone this day and every day. As always, stay near the cross because you never know who you may meet there. Be blessed! :o)

In Christs' Love,
CBCLady :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in. Feel free to leave a comment.