Thursday, November 21, 2013

COWashing

Hello Saints! I have been on my natural hair journey for 3 months and have been COWashing (conditioner only washing) my hair 1-2x weekly in place of shampooing weekly. Cowashing is a great alternative to daily or weekly shampooing to help increase moisture and condition the hair in between washes. 

Why COWashing
When I started my hair care journey 2 years ago I did not know ANYTHING about cowashing or had even heard of it. I was battling dry hair and horrible dandruff so I was researching ways to eliminate. Once I incorporated cowashing into my hair care, things turned around instantly. When cowashing I use regular rinse out conditioners that are moisturizing and protein free. Conditioners like TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture and Alberto's VO5 conditioners are great for cowashing my hair. Recently I began using cowash cleansers which is a conditioner with actual cleansing capabilities that works very well at removing mild to medium build up. 

How To Cowash
I use a rinse out conditioner or cowashing cleanser in place of shampoo.  I have used As I Am Coconut Cowash and have recently switched to Eden Bodyworks Coconut Shea Cleansing COWash which is AMAZING. Thumbs way up for Eden's cowash cleanser. I massage the conditioning cleanser into my scalp and hair like I would if I were using shampoo. I rinse and repeat if needed. There after I condition and deep condition. Since I have been cowashing, I no longer have had issues with excessive dry hair and have been dandruff free.

What about build up? Well, I use silicone-free conditioners since I do more cowashing than shampooing. I do not use products heavy in mineral oils or petroleum, so cowashing works for my hair care. I use a sulfate-free shampoo when I do shampoo therefor any oil build up on my hair and scalp has not been an issue. Once a month or every other month I will do a good deep down clarifying shampoo. Other wise my sulfate-free poo does exactly what I need. :o)

If you live in a cold climate and find your hair becoming drier, give cowashing a try in between your next shampoo. Some like it. Some love it. Some do not care for cowashing at all. For myself it has been a saving grave for my thirsty curly coils. Be blessed Saints! :o)

In Christ's Love,
CBCLady

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in. Feel free to leave a comment.