Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Transitioning to Natural: 8 Months Post

Hello Saints! Today is my 8th month in my journey to natural.  My hair's current length is shoulder length and all is well. I'm still on my regular standard hair care regimen with trying various products here and there.

Daily
Every day I moisturize with S-Curl No Drip and seal with 100% sweet almond oil.  Before bed I will pull my hair back into a loose bun or do flat 2-strand twists then cover with my satin scarf or bonnet. 

Weekly
I wash my hair 3 times weekly.  Twice a week I cowash with Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Conditioner or As I Am Coconut COWash.  Once weekly I shampoo with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention shampoo.  I always deep condition after every shampoo only using Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative conditioner or Bee Mine BEE-U-Ti-FUL deep conditioner.  The day before any wash day I pre-poo with a mix of castor oil and grapeseed oil on my scalp and extra virgin coconut oil on my hair strands, cover with with a plastic cap and call it a night.  Since I have porous hair, I always use a leave-in after every wash.  After my final rinse, I apply Gro Aut Herbal conditioner to soaking wet hair and lightly dab the excess water out with a t-shirt only. There after I will lightly mist with my aloe vera juice mix, apply a quarter size amount of 100% jojoba oil,  Shea Moisture Yucca & Boabab Volumizing conditioner and style as usual.  Before bed I will moisturize, seal  and oil my scalp with Gro Aut oil.

Monthly
I like to clarify my hair once month using Kinky Curly Come Clean shampoo. That is a great sulfate-free clarifying shampoo for my hair. It gets my hair completely clean of any build up but still leaves moisture behind. When I clarify that is when I like to flat iron. My hair comes out the silkiest on those days. Although I clarify once monthly I do not always use my flat iron.

Protective/ Low Manipulation Styling
I must say I am beyond excited about my transition to natural journey.  Not every day is easy when it comes to styling options though. For those days I cannot come up with a style I will put my half wig or drawstring up-do on my bunned up hair. My go to style has been 2 flat 2-strand twists. I can wear that style for days without having to take it down to redo. In a few weeks I will be self installing Senegalese twists for the first time. That will be my Summer time style since my family and I will be hitting the beach and swimming pool.

Well Saints, that is your girl's hair status. All is well by the grace of God. I know God is continuously giving me the understanding I need to care for my hair and my family's hair as a whole daily. I could not have made it this far without Him. I pray all is well with everyone this day and every day. As always, stay near the cross because you never know who you may meet there. Have a blessed week! :o)

In Christ's Love,
CBCLady 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in. Feel free to leave a comment.